*You may want to pause the music player at the bottom of the page if you are not in the mood for some tunes.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bitter.

When one is poor everything you see is something you cannot have. You go window shopping. Staring longingly at all the shiny, new objects that you wish you could buy. They call your name, please buy me. And it takes all the strength you have to muster up the courage to turn away.

Poor people spend their money on the things you need instead of the things they want. They shop at the local dollar tree, they buy used cars, they wear shoes from Payless, and pinch their pennies. There are more poor people in this world than there are rich.

 They say that being poor makes you humble. But I am not sure I believe that. Actually I don't believe that, not in the least bit. Let me be the first one to tell you I am poor and I am not humble. In fact being poor has left me with a taste of bitter, like that of a lemon on the tip of my tongue.

I envy those who have all the beautiful things that I want but do not have. The perfect house, the brand new car, the latest smartphone, that Gucci purse, the fantastic job, and money...all the money they could never know how to spend quite as well as I could.

They say that money can't buy you happiness. I am not sure who first said this or why people tend to hold onto this belief, but I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that money does buy you happiness. Money can buy you a house, a car, the perfect family, a tummy tuck, shit it can even buy you love if you're that desperate.

I don't mean to sound like a hater, but for now I guess you could say I am feeling a little poor these days. So, please excuse me if I sound bitter or worse yet nasty.

3 comments:

  1. I'm the complete opposite. I see things I don't have as things that would clutter up my house... things that I'll need to make room for in my small house, and things, I ultimately don't need. I want to live off of as little as possible, and am actually in the process of getting my wardrobe down to just 33 articles of clothing that I absolutely love. (http://www.theproject333.com/getting-started/) sometimes you just need to be around people who have less than you to really appreciate all that you do have. Before I had kids, I went on a vacation to Mexico. There we say kids living in grass huts... about 20 square feet of living space... no bedrooms... with no electricity... handmade toys... and each other. To this day, they have been the happiest kids (and adults) I have ever seen. Whenever I think of what I don't have... living in a small house... etc., I think of those people living in Mexico, and I know that if THEY can live off of the way they do... certainly I can be happy with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I don't mean to be judgmental - I know we can all get into funks, but just hoping to bring a little bit of positive sunshine your way. * and - I found a pic of one of their houses - it really makes me want to go back there - it was a whole nother world - http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/c5/e9/e8/mayan-mama-frying-corn.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I was in a bit of a funk that day big time. The thing is I am not really poor. I know there are people out there who are way worse off than I am. That day happened to be a day I wanted to get something for myself, but I knew there were things I needed instead of wanted, so I came home feeling a slight bit bitter. I know there are so many people less fortunate than I am and afterward I felt better writing the post, because it allowed me to get it out, but I also felt bad knowing that there are those who really are poor...I am not one of them. I should be happy with what I do have and thankful. I think sometimes we just need a little reminding. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete