*You may want to pause the music player at the bottom of the page if you are not in the mood for some tunes.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Do you know where your mother is?

Yesterday started off as a normal day. Jeremiah and I woke up, we decided to eat some Pop Tarts for breakfast (I know not the best breakfast, but hey we can't be perfect all the time), and then we settled on the couch to snuggle and watch cartoons. That is basically how this summer has been panning out so far. We lounge around the house half the day, being completely lazy. At 3:30 the phone rang and what do you know? Dan's work was calling him in...he is usually off on Thursdays, but they needed him and he decided to take the extra hours. While all this is going on, something else was going on right across the hall. Dan and I live in an apartment, it is the kind where there are seperate complexes and each building houses 4 apartments.

Anyway, our neighbor across the hall is a young, single mother of three children. She is a relatively nice woman, and our son Jeremiah loves her children, they play for hours outside running around and riding their bikes. Over the past few months, especially since summer has kicked off, we have been talking and getting to know one another. But back to the story. One of the apartment managers was going around passing out flyers, and I guess she seen the cord our neighbor "S" had plugged into the hall outlet, because she decided to knock on her door. The children weren't supposed to answer the door for anyone but "S", but children being children they failed to remember that and ended up answering the door. Upon answering the door the apartment manager realized the children were home alone.

So, what did she do? She called the po po (police for those of you not down with the lingo). While she was waiting for the police to show up I was busy wishing Dan farewell and texting "S" as fast as my fingers could type. After no respone for a little while I texted her again once the police had arrived on the scene. After what seemed like forever I finally received a call from an unknown number, I guessed it was probably her.
She basically asked me to let them know she was on her way ASAP.

I quickly informed the police I had reached their mother and she was on her way. Let me clarify I have never known my neighbor to do anything like this before, she's nice, and from what I have seen she's a good mother. Her children are always fed, they look clean, and by all means and purposes happy. I know as a single mother, she must have had no one to watch her children, but had to go to work. Yet for the life of me I can't figure out why she didn't knock on our door, and ask us to watch her children. I will admitt I am not very fond of any children unless their my own, but I would rather watch them for her than her leave them alone. Her children are ages 5, 4, and 2. Defenitely not suitable or legal to be left alone with no adult supervision. But while I know what she did was wrong I can't help but feel sorry for her, because I know that even with Dan by my side times are tough right now, and especially so for single parents.

When "S" finally got here the police had her children carted away with their grandparents, and "S" was being arrested for child endangerment and stealing electricity. I feel for her and I don't know what is going to happen to her, as I am obviously not in the business of law. But I did take it upon myself to look up Missouri's laws on each of the crimes she was arrested for. Both of which are considered class "C" felonies. All of which are punishable anywhere from a year to seven years! I hope my neighbor doesn't get seven years, and highly doubt she will, as she has no criminal background. I wish her the best of luck and I hope things begin to look up for her soon...until then I am awaiting her return, because she asked me to hold onto her brand new, 47", 3D, flat screen television....

No comments:

Post a Comment