*You may want to pause the music player at the bottom of the page if you are not in the mood for some tunes.

Friday, July 15, 2011

BFF

Best Friends Forever! Doesn't everyone have that one special friend they consider to be their best friend? I would say that most do. Actually most have a few and I am no exception. I like to call her my bestie or girlie. But to everyone else she is known as Danie. Danie and I have only known each other for 3 years, but in that short amount of time we have become bestfriends. And I plan on keeping it that way forever....

Dan and I were living in an apartment complex and one day he came in all giddy like a child on Christmas morning. I wondered what could have him so damn happy.

Me: "What's up babe?"
Dan: "I met the coolest guy. He lives here and he plays guitar. We're going to jam together, okay hun?"
Me: "Sure...."
Dan: "Oh he has a girlfriend too....maybe you and her can talk. I know how desperate you are for a friend."
Me: "I am not desperate! Okay well maybe I want someone to talk to, but I do have standards."
Dan: "Well it was just a thought...maybe you two will hit it off."
Me: "Yeah maybe so."

Some time went by until one warm summer evening. I had finished up the nightly ritual of putting Jeremiah to sleep and I was ready to jump in the shower and then watch the Unsolved Mysteries I had received in the mail via Netflix. Dan said he would watch it with me, so off to the shower I went. When I got out I was ready to go, but Dan was nowhere to be found. Where the hell did he go now?

That is when I looked out our living room window to se him standing outside talking to some girl. Like most women who see their hubby talking to some pretty and may I add thin, young woman I immediately felt my blood begin to boil. Who the hell is that chick? I decided to investigate and so I crept out the apartment door, locking it behind me, and waltzed my way outside.

Me: "Hey babe...there you are! I thought we were going to watch Unsolved Mysteries?"
Dan: "We are hun...I just came out to smoke and got to talking to one of our neighbors."
Me: "Oh how long have you lived here?"
Danie: "Not too long..."
Dan: "This is Julian's girlfriend...uh Danie. We just got to talking."
Me: " Oh..."

I don't remember quite what happened after that other than the formal, awkward introduction, learning that Julian was at work, Danie was out of cigarettes, Dan took her to the store to get some, and somehow I ended up inviting her over to watch Unsolved Mysteries with us, which she loved as much as I did.

But that night we barely paid any attention to the show, because even though we had just met Danie and I connected beautifully. Have you ever met someone that you just hit it off with? You don't know what it is but you know it's something stronger than you (perhaps beyond this dimension of time), some way, somehow you have this powerful connection to someone you have just met. That is exactly what happened. Upon our first meeting we hung out half the night, just talking and talking about everything. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we had so much in common. I stayed up until 3 in the morning talking with her.

Danie and I slowly began to hang out more and more, slowly becoming closer. But when Danie found herself pregnant in December of 2008 we became closer than I think either of us could ever have imagined. I spent time going over baby books with her while she was pregnant and giving her my best advice. I was present at the birth of her daughter. I helped her give Leaira her first bath. I said yes when she asked me to be Leaira's godmother. I am there for her when she needs someone to vent to, when she needs a shoulder to cry on, and of course when she needs a good laugh.

As much as I have been there for her, she has always been there for me too. She listens to me, we can finish each other's sentences, we agree on almost every important issue, we still have loads in common, I understand her, and she understands me. And yes we have had our moments when we do not agree, when we are grating on each other's nerves, when for some unknown reason our messages are getting crossed, mixed up, and lost. But we get past those almost as quickly as they came. The imporant thing is we are there for each other whenever, wherever, whatever. She accepts me as I am and loves me for who I am and I accept her for who she is and I love her as she is.

So, I guess it's true in every way shape and form. I have a bestfriend and she is mine. She is the greatest one of them all and I am fortunate to have her in my life. And for all intents and purposes it doesn't even matter how she came into my life, so long as she never leaves it.

I love you girlie...



Do you have a bestfriend? How did you meet? If this was your last day on earth and you had only this moment to tell her everything you have always wanted to tell her, what would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment